Business disputes can be very damaging to private companies, not only in terms of out-of-pocket fees and costs, but also due to management distractions and time spent in locating and analyzing documents and responding to the legal process. Additionally, given the importance of most family businesses to a family’s overall wealth, disputes between family members involved in family businesses can be even more impactful.
In its business dispute work, Lightfoot Group works with business owners and their counsel to achieve an optimal resolution of the dispute. In its approach, Lightfoot relies on the fact that the vast majority of business disputes settle without going to trial. With this in mind, whenever possible, Lightfoot prefers to become involved in the early stages (pre-litigation) of a business or family business dispute. Using our experience as “business and financial neutrals,” we approach business disputes as business problems to be solved using business tools and solutions. Also, since we are independent of the disputing parties, we can help interject a more factual and less emotional view of the dispute and thereby help save time and expenses versus alternative dispute resolution approaches.
Court-Appointed Neutral (Receiver, Special Master, Monitor, Auditor): Sometimes it is helpful to have a court-appointed neutral involved in the dispute effort, or to administer or run a company during a dispute. James Hart of Lightfoot Group has served numerous times as a court-appointed receiver, special master, monitor or auditor since 1996. During this time he has been court- appointed by the following courts:
- Superior Courts of the following Georgia Counties: Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Cherokee, Clayton, Walton, Lumpkin
- United States Bankruptcy Court: Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta, Division
- United States District Court: Northern District of Georgia, Rome Division
- South Carolina Circuit Court, County of Georgetown
- South Carolina Court of Common Pleas, County of Greenville
- North Carolina Superior Court, County of Cleveland